Saturday, January 24, 2015

THE ART OF JUNK: DAN KINEM of VHSHITFEST

One of the things I enjoy hunting for the most are VHS Horror movies. They are very special to me as the Video Store was one of my favorite places growing up. In my region I met a guy who made a documentary about VHS Collecting titled ADJUST YOUR TRACKING named Dan Kinem and I discovered Dan collects and hunts for MUCH more than just VHS. I asked Dan a few questions and here's how it went


JUNKWORLD: IMAGINE WE ARE ALIENS... WHAT ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS YOU WANT US TO KNOW ABOUT YOU?

DAN: I want them to know how much I cherish art of all kinds and how I am open-minded when it comes to any form of art or media. I also want them to know how much I love archiving and collecting old things of all types and how important it is.

JUNKWORLD: HOW WOULD YOU DEFINE THE WORD "JUNK"?

DAN: Junk is the stuff that most people look over at a store, but that makes my eyes light up (for the most part).

JUNKWORLD: YOU TRAVELED THE COUNTRY PROMOTING THE MOVIE "ADJUST YOUR TRACKING"... WHAT ARE SOME INTERESTING THINGS YOU DISCOVERED ABOUT AMERICA IN THE PROCESS?
DAN: The stories are endless. I learned how important it is to market and build a fanbase. I also learned just how few video stores are left out there. I learned never to go searching for big foot in Northern California, too.

JUNKWORLD: MOST PEOPLE KNOW YOU IN REGARDS TO VHS COLLECTING. YOU COLLECT MUCH MORE. TELL US ABOUT SOME OF THE OTHER THINGS YOU SEARCH FOR.

DAN: I collect so much shit. I go after 1990-1995 Simpsons stuff, WWF stuff (not action figures), New Kids on the Block stuff, Alf, 90210, Baywatch, Dinosaurs, Married with Children, VCR games, 80s/90s Nickelodeon, Criterion Collection DVDs, Something Weird DVDs, vintage clothes (mostly 80s and 90s), horror memorabilia, and so much more. Basically if it's interesting to me, or weird, or obscure, or cool, or merchandise from something I love or grew up with then I will buy it.

JUNKWORLD: WHAT IS YOUR HOLY GRAIL... YOUR MOST ELUSIVE SCORE THAT HAS ELUDED YOU AND YOU ARE YET TO FIND?

DAN: Well, it was the Streets of Death clamshell but I just got it a couple days ago. I would say maybe the Nickelodeon computer they put out in the 90s or a cheap Simpsons arcade system.

JUNKWORLD:  WHAT DRAWS YOU TO SEARCH FOR THESE THINGS? CAN YOU PIN-POINT WHERE IT BEGAN?

DAN: I have always been into collecting things since I was a kid. I had lots of toys, movies, and video games growing up. I think I truly love interesting things, but I love the hunt even more so. The thrill of finding something you never expected to find somewhere is the best feeling in the world. You are on thrift store number three, have been digging through the shirts for hours and your arm is about to fall off, and one of the last things on the rack is a vintage Simpsons shirt. There's nothing better than that. It gets my blood pumping.

JUNKWORLD: WHAT IS THE FURTHEST/WILDEST EXCURSION YOU HAVE EVER TAKEN TO MAKE A SCORE?

DAN: Well, I have traveled around the country to hunt for tapes. I drove all the way to Colorado from PA to go to a store. I've dug through a store that was destroyed in Katrina and the roof had caved in. There were literally wild animals roaming around it.

JUNKWORLD: IS THERE ONE REALY UNIQUE ITEM YOU HAVE THAT YOU FEEL IS EXTRA SPECIAL? IF SO, WHY?

DAN: I have a clamshell for Tales from the Quadead Zone that has original artwork that no one has seen before. No one knows where the release came from and I think there might only be one copy out there. I could mention cool, really unique things all day but that one is probably the most unique and hard to find. I am the only person in the world who has it.

JUNKWORLD: TELL US ABOUT THE LAST TIME YOU WERE VIOLENTLY ILL. AS MUCH DETAIL AS POSSIBLE PLEASE!

DAN: Violently ill? Probably 8 years ago I ate this chicken teriyaki TV dinner and it made me so sick. That was the last time I threw up and one of the only times actually. But currently I am super sick, but I wouldn't quite give it the "violently ill" label.

JUNKWORLD: DO YOU HAVE ANY FUTURE PROJECTS PLANNED?

DAN: I want to continue putting out obscure movies on VHS. I also want to start the VHShitfest movie review book. And lastly, I want to start a new movie.

JUNKWORLD: LAST WORDS? THE FLOOR IS YOURS...

DAN: Please go and support VHShitfest. Buy some products from http://adjustyourtracking.com and tell your friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment